'Melaka' (native pronunciation) or Malacca (English word) is a city with great balance. Portuguese Settlement is a small village 2km from town, housing the descendants of Dutch and 'Malays' and Eurasian parentage. Melaka, Malaysia is best known for its well preserved culture and heritage. This is why Melaka earned its place in the coveted UNESCO world heritage sites. Melaka or Malacca is Malaysia's oldest historical city and one of the most popular tourists' spots in the world today.
In 1641, the Portuguese tasted a defeat by the Dutch who colonized Melaka. British people acquired Melaka from the Dutch in 1824. Malacca (dubbed The Historic State or Negeri Bersejarah among locals) is the third smallest Malaysian state, after Perlis and Penang. The capital is Malacca City, which is 148 km south east of Malaysia's capital city Kuala Lumpur, 235 km north west to Johor's largest city Johor Bahru and 95 km north west to Johor's second largest city Batu Pahat. One of the famous destinations on list for locals and tourist for a short vacation is Malacca :
- Explore Malaysia at Taman Mini Malaysia & Mini ASEAN Explore the different types of traditional Malaysia houses representing 13 states from Sarawak's Iban Long House to Negeri Sembilan's Long Roofed House the only house in Malaysia to have a curved roof reminiscent of the Minangkabau roof of Sumatra.
- Take a River Cruise along Malacca River
- Explore Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum
- Shop for Local Products
- Get a Bird-eye View on Malacca from Eye on Malaysia
- Find Shopping Galore at Jonker Street
- Find the oldest Portuguese restaurant in Malaysia that offers home-style Portuguese fare at San Pedro Restaurant at Portuguese Settlement Village. 10 - Visit the Famous Portuguese Monument, A Famosa
- Shop at Dataran Pahlawan Megamall
- Visit the Malacca Sultanate PalaceMalacca Sultanate Palace is the place that cannot be missed upon visiting Malacca. Drop by Sam Po Kong Temple
- Check Out Taming Sari Tower
- Visit Hang Li Po Well
The town of Melaka is small and compact. Melaka Heritage Trail is like a walk back in time for tourists. The center is located right at the heart of old Malacca. Your first stop is to the site where Melaka history started and took shape, the Malacca River. Melaka River Cruises are also offered in this area. It is now home to Malacca Cultural Museum.